Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I received notification of P2P lawsuit for copyright infringement; what should I do?

I go to a university in California and recently I received a letter that tells me the RIAA wants to settle with me for copyright infringement (I.E. downloading music via LimeWire). All they have is my IP Address, and they suggest I settle for $3000 within 40 days before they file suit in federal court. I've been reading on the internet and it seems like the RIAA is suing a lot of people but they aren't getting any results. What should I do in this case? I will consult a professional lawyer, but does anyone know or have any personal experience with this situation?
Answers:
Just ignore them, dont respond in any way.
It's RIAA extortion.

Get a lawyer and fight it. Most (if not almost all) of those who fight this attempt at extortion WIN.

The RIAA is looking for the easy bucks. If they have to go to court, they'll back down.
I hates the RIAA.

Glad I got my stuff before it became taboo. It's a shame they want to smother what could have been a digital renaissance for music..
How weird.. I was also e-mailed about a copyright infringement but with software.. Based on what I've read, MOST people who have had to deal with the RIAA's ridiculous lawsuits just settle and pay up. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles; the RIAA certainly does blow
Just settle it. It's not worth the hassle. If you go to trial, you will spend well over $3000 on a lawyer, and if you lose then the RIAA may appeal it and it will drag on for years. If you ultimately lose the case, you could be liable for tens of thousands of dollars in penalties, depending on the number of songs you have downloaded. What would you do at trial - claim you never used limewire? It's next to impossible to defend these cases, because they have your IP address and it's very easy for them to prove that you were downloading stuff. So a trial is kind of pointless.
Tough one. I have a god friend of mine who does that stuff all the time but he uses sombody elses IP address. He can route the signal to act like it's coming rom their computer and not from his. He also uses it to make international phone calls. Look into this on the internet because I can guarantee you it is possible and it does happen I know for a fact, well sort of, I do believe him. And I've seen him use it in that form.
If this isn't a scam, and is from RIAA, and they can make a case against you personally, then they would do so. When and if they file against you personally, you should not ignore it because they will get a default judgment against you. It sounds like you may have some valid defenses, if it ever gets that far (such as no proof that you were the one doing anything at that IP address).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net