Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I recently moved into a new apartment.the address was logged with the my local authority!?

Nobody else was informed of my change of address, my housing benefit was duly approved and all my data was logged with the local housing, name ect ect.Two days later i received a message at that address demanding that i contact a particular individual. The data protection act prevents a third party from accessing information where i live or my name! HAS THIS PERSON BROKEN THE LAW? WHAT DO I NEXT?
Answers:
There has been a serious breach of security in your local council data base. You need proffessional advice. Or go to the police. Good luck.
A person's address is public record, not privileged information.
I assume you live in the UK.

The simple answer is as follows;

1. The DPA does not prevent a third party accessing where you live or your name. It's probably on the electoral roll for a start and possibly the phone book. But irrespective, the DPA does not give you the protection you imagine.

2. I don't know who the person is, or what they want; but on the facts you have outlined, I am unaware how they are said to have broken the law. Certainly not by contacting you, or 'finding out where you live'.

3. What do you do next? Contact them or ignore them, as you see fit. If they are a law enforcement bodty, you may think it better to contract them - but it's up to you, presumably you have some idea what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net