Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I returned a computer to one of those rent ot own places, now they are saying I didnt. what can I do?

So, I returned a laptop that I had rented from a rent-to-own place(quality rentals) and now I've been getting phone calls telling me I need to pay them or return the computer(that I dont have!)! I returned it because it was a piece of crap that was over 3 years old. I wasnt going to pay $120/month for an old, outdated computer.
So, what are my options?
Answers:
Did you get a receipt? Do you remeber the person you returned it to? You might want to check there.
You should have proof that you returned it.
Show them your receipt stating that you returned it. Case closed.

You didn't keep the receipt? Ask them to check their inventory...see if they can find it.

If they can't find it, and you can't produce a receipt, it becomes a case of "he said, she said". They will flag you and destroy your credit, and your only recourse will be the courts.
Unless someone there signed for the return - then you're probably out of luck. If someone did sign, for the return, and you have a copy of it - take it to them as proof - if not, then you really should contact a lawyer. I most states, if you owe a business money and they do NOT contact you about the balance due within 2 years - then the balance is not collectable anymore.
well they should of given you a statement when you returned it, you send them a COPY of the statement. keep the original in your possession in a safe place. if then they still harass you contact the better business bureau
they should have given you something in exchange for it- if you left without getting anything in return there may be nothing you can do about it. Sorry.

Try to find something that may help you like phone records or a receipt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net