Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I sold a car to a co-worker, but I accidently left my gas jug and some more things in the trunk, are they his?

I left my wash bucket that I planned on using to wash my new car, my car wax, tire cleaner and things of that sort in the trunk of the old car. I didn't realize this until 2 weeks after I sold the car to him. He has never mentioned that I left those things in the car, and my guess would be that he intends to keep them for himself and I suffer the loss. Legally, are those things still mine or do they become his since the car is now signed over to him? If he plays dumb and says he doesn't have them (I'm 100% sure I left them in the car) can I use my spare key and go in the trunk while he's parked at work and get my stuff out? Should I let it go and suffer the loss?
Answers:
I would ask him about the items , if he's an honest co-worker he'll give them back. He knows they didn't come with the sale of the car. If he denies seeing them or if he says he threw them away[suffer the lost] and forget about them. You are not being honest ,by keeping a key to a car that's not yours' anymore. If you enter his car without permission, it's like breaking and entering[Even with a key]. Don't get yourself into trouble about something so minor You should have checked the car before turning it over to him.
If you didn't remove them before signing over the car, go get new ones, they are not that expensive.
You could always ask him about it, and see if in his good grace he will return them to you.

However, used cars are sold "as is", and that includes everything in the vehicle at the time of the sale.
Take the loss.. You sold them to him when you turned over the keys to the car.
Suffer the lost
I would think that legally you sold him the title to the car. The stuff in the trunk isn't covered by the title. They are yours still. If you use the the spare key to get them yourself, you're breaking and entering. You could sue him for the stuff in small claims court if he refused to give them back. Here's a crazy idea - why not just ask him to give the stuff back?
suffer the loss cause if you sold him the car u also sold anything tha twas in the car as well. U shouldnt have a spare key plus he could get u for B%26E breaking and entering the car and taking his stuff. My advice would be ask him about it and he isnt a real prick he will give you the stuff back. and if not just suffer the loss
Why don't you just ask the guy? he probably think's your not interested in your stuff because you haven't contacted him, stop stressing and just ask the guy.
I'm sure if you ask him/her that you left some personal items in the car and you want to retrieve them he/she will let you take them. I don't see why the buyer would not let you have them back. However, if you feel a bit uneasy asking for these things back, maybe you should just go ahead and replace those items.
Ask this person the worst they can say is NO! and give the new owner the spare KEY!!
If its a co-worker you could just ask him maybe he hasn`t even looked in the trunk yet ..if he says theres nothing in there then just take the loss those items are not worth anything its not like you let something personal in there, it would be less time and trouble to just replace them..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net