Saturday, October 24, 2009

I live in MA and want to know about laws with employment discriminating against tattoos?

I took a job as a waitress and they want me to cover my tatoos which i have no problem doing but they told me oit needs to be a pastel color shirt, ever try finding a long sleeve shirt in summer? I have white and black but they said no even tho we wear black pants apron and shoes
Answers:
It your choice: Either conform with the (clearly legal) rules or find another job. If they dissapproved with something you had no control over (like your religion or skin color), that's discrimination. Since you shose to get a tattoo, you have to live with the consequences.
P.S. There are plenty of places on the web where you can find nice pastel long sleeve shirts year-round. Try a closeout place like www. sierratradingpost.com.
Good Luck!
i would never allow an employee to show tattoo's on the job, Its my business and my rules. No discrimination just the way it is.
grow up. either follow the rules or go elsewhere.
Mac has a thick cover up for tattoos or you could use stage make up. Check out H %26 M, they usually have a pretty good selection of plain colored shirts in a variety of colors.
I read a similiar case. Don't remember the name, but the company was the Cosco's in West Springield Mass and it was about covering piercings instead of tatoos.

The plaintiff was claiming religious discrimination.

Basically the holding was -- comply or get fired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net