Saturday, October 24, 2009

I moved to a new company purchased by my employer and have been fired. what are my rights please?

*NOW UPDATED WITH MISSING INFO * I was fired during my probationary period after moving to a new company purchased by my employer. I had worked for them for 2 years. Reasons given were bad attitude towards my team %26 non communication to my line manager. I refuted this %26 have spoken to my team since being fired, with several members saying they would happily argue this was not the case.
*No previous opportunity was given to discuss any points raised.
*The letter given to me on the day states "further to our meeting" yet all points were obviously written prior to it.
*I had requested a review with my line manager in writing to improve communication but had no reply.
*I had also highlighted to my line manager that I had not been provided with clear targets or goals.
*I was very succesful in my role, however, and took sales from 拢200/day to 拢6,500/ day over the 4 weeks.
*I feel my line manager who conducted the dismissal meeting conducted a witch hunt agaist my better character.
Answers:
You come in thinkin your the boss.
nobody boosts your ego....
you shell-up, got a bad report, and were fired..So..? What do you have in writing? BEFORE the move...
Your rights are determined by your contract. If you don't have a contract, then the employer was free to fire you under the same conditions that you were free to quit -- for no reason at all. If you had a contract, and it referenced a probationary period, I suspect that the contract allowed you to be fired for no reason at all during that probationary period. If that was not acceptable to you, then you shouldn't have taken the job.
At will employment, even with an accompanying contract, allow either the employer or the employee to leave at any time without notice or cause.
So your employer can fire you for any reason or no reason at all. (with some exceptions that apply only to people in a protected class)
If you have a contract, you need to read the dismissal provisions. But if the contract allows you to leave at any time, then your employer can ask you to leave at any time.
Be careful suing former employers, courts dont like to punish employers at all unless they have to. And if you lose, most states allow the employer to come back and request attorney and litigation fees from the employee who sued them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net