Saturday, October 24, 2009

I need a lawyer to explain this to me?

If I lend someone money That I know is for drugs can I get in trouble by the law? lets say 70 dollars
Answers:
You should worry more about getting paid back than going to jail. "If you knowingly make monies available that will be used in any criminal activity, it is a felony" is ridiculous. If you give your friend thirty bucks for a dime bag, possession of which might only be a misdemeanor in your state, how would that be felony? Seventy bucks is the equivalent of "financing a drug operation?" I think not. The best reason not to lend your drug-using friend the money is that you'll likely never get repaid. This does not constitute legal advice.
By knowingly contributing to something like that you are not putting yourself in a good position.Do you really think a judge is gonna like hearing you say "I lent him some money for crack and he never paid me back..."
Yes, you can. Think about it in this respect: your actions are really no different than someone financing a drug operation. Besides...should you really be encouraging someone else to do drugs?

Regardless, I have a federal public defender friend from law school that just represented this guy whose friend called him from Columbia. The friend had gotten mixed up in a drug running operation and needed to borrow $10k to buy drugs to come up with a complete shipment. Feds found out, caught the guy in the US who lent to $10k to buy the drugs, charged him, and he was found guilty. Yours is a smaller scale, but analogous.
I am going to say this in the simplest of terms.

If you knowingly make monies available that will be used in any criminal activity, it is a felony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net