Saturday, October 31, 2009

I need help with this legal issue for a debate I am conducting?

I have heard numerous amounts of time that it is legal for a minor and an adult to date (such as 16 year old minor, 20 year old adult) and have a relationship as long as there is no sexual contact such as oral, anal, or vaginal which is perfectly understandable because there are many ways to show affection, not just with sex. Therefore, as long as the couple sticks to only holding hands and kissing and cuddling until the minor is of legal age, they have nothing to worry about legality-wise, especially if the minors parents strongly approve of the relationship, correct? Now, I know a lot of people are going to be outraged at this question and give me incorrect answers, so I am asking that only people who actually know what they're talking about answer this question because I am not about to get a bad grade on my debate because someone doesn't like that kids grow up and move on and have relationships normally with more experienced, smarter older people that can take care of them.
Answers:
Every state is differend in their age of consent laws. Give me a state and I will give you a link to their specific statutes.

In most states the age of consent is 16 but some are as low as 14.
I think every state is different on this issue. I lived in North Carolina and New York. I will tell you in North Carolina I knew of a 15 year old girl and a 23 year old man who were dating. No one really questioned it...even when he got her pregnant. In New York I knew of a 14 year old girl and a 19 year old boy who were dating and again, he got her pregnant. He spent time in prison for statutory rape. I do know that in North Carolina the parents were not happy with their 15 year old daughter's decision, but legally it didn't seem to make a difference. On a personal level, I don't think it is appropriate for an adult to date a minor. The maturity difference is just too great AND in my opinion, anyone who is attracted to a child (teenagers included) is just plain sick. Just my two cents.
You are basically correct, although the specifics may vary depending upon jurisdiction. Generally, though, there is no criminal act in a 20 yr old dating someone who is underage. Obviously, the parents should be involved in the determination as to when a child is allowed to "date." As long as there is no sex (and the definitions of sex may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction) before both are at the age of consent (again, this varies) there is, in most cases, no crime.
That is 100 percent correct...we cannot and do not prevent association between a minor and an adult.the only conduct that is outlawed is the sexual relationship between and adult and minor...this means sex or any sexual contact period.just dating does not give rise to any criminal violations...but the sexual relationship between an adult and minor are presummed in many cases.
There is no way that someone can be prosecuted for non-sexual activity. The consent laws specify sexual behavior, and from what I've read, non discuss kissing.
If the parents approve there might not be an issue, but I find it hard to believe that a 20 year old man would not want to have sexual contact for 2 years. Check your states statutes regarding the legal age of consent.

I really do believe that someone who is 16 should really be out enjoying themselves with people their own age. This is from personal experience when I was 14, I was seeing a man who was 21. My father did not approve, but I was threatening stating I would runaway and all that childish stuff that teenagers throw out there. I was afraid of losing my virginity, so we stuck to oral, but one day he raped me, after that the cat was out of the bag so to speak, I had nothing to save. We stayed together and got married when I was 20. I did manage to finish high school and complete nursing school. We divorced when I was 29, I felt that I had outgrown him and that I was now acting as his mother. Luckily we never had children. Moral of the story...when you are a teenager you are too young to know what is right for you, you need to take some time to experience life before you get strapped to one person. You may find that as you mature he is not the right one for you. Take your time you have lots of it and please don't rush into children.
I won't do the work for you, but I will give you direction.

720 ILCS 5/) Criminal Code of 1961.

That is where the answer lies for you. It is a lot of reading and once you have digested it, you can return with further questions.

You can find the statute here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilc...

By the way, Illinois has no statutory rape law. it is codified under the above as Sexual Exploitation of a Child.
You can submit your issue in the following website and a lawyer will contact you within 24hrs. Don't worry about their charges, Its only $1/day. So you are getting what you want in just $1. I think this you can afford. Here is the link

http://usa-legalcare.blogspot.com/2007/0...
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net